5 Ways to Fight Insecurity

By August 30, 2016Church, Leadership

I was talking with a young pastor overwhelmed with the responsibility he’s been given. His church expects a lot from him – leading the church, preaching great messages, visiting the sick (and the well), managing a budget, and seeing the baptistry consistently in use – just to name a few things. He realizes the weight of his position, but much of it he doesn’t feel qualified to deliver. He accepted the position knowing there would be challenges – and he would have to walk by faith, which he wanted to do – but now he’s wondering if he’s in over his head.

I realized he was dealing with a huge dose of insecurity. I previously wrote “7 Traits of an Insecure Leader“.

It caused me to ask myself, so I could counsel him:

What’s the best way to deal with insecurity in leadership?

Here are 5 ways to deal with insecurity as a pastor or leader:

Avoid comparisons

Insecurity often develops when a person compares his or herself to another. Don’t try to be someone you’re not. Be yourself. Realize who God designed you to be is not a mistake. Obviously, someone believed in your abilities as a leader. You need to stop comparing and start living in your own skin.

Concentrate on your abilities

What are you good at doing? Make a list of your good qualities. You probably have more than you think you do. In times of feeling insecure we often forget who we are and how God has shaped us through experiences of life. We would never tell a church member they aren’t gifted – why would we believe this about ourself? Keep your list handy. It will help you to feel more confident if you focus more on your positives than your negatives.

Surround yourself with people who complement your weaknesses

Part of having a healthy church or organization is the strength, which comes from different people. Don’t be afraid to ask for help. There are probably people who can do things you don’t feel comfortable doing. It’s not a sign of weakness to get others involved. It’s actually a sign of strength as a leader. (And it’s the more Biblical model of the church.)

Keep learning

Seek wisdom from other leaders. Read books. Take additional classes. Knowledge is power. The more you grow in information the more competent you will feel in your role. (By the way, when I feel overwhelmed or insecure, I read the stories like those of Gideon, Moses, Joseph, David, or Joshua repeatedly. Great encouragement.)

Ultimately, find your identity in what’s really secure

You have a relationship with Christ. Remember, “You can do all things through Christ who gives you strength”. You can do all He calls you to do, because He will equip you for His call – and strengthen you when you need strength most. If you are facing insecurity in leadership you may have to simply get better at walking by faith. “He who calls you is faithful, who also will do it.” (1 Thessalonians 5:24)

Insecurity will weigh you down and hold you back as a pastor or leader. It will keep you from doing all you were called to do. Don’t let it!

Related Posts

Ron Edmondson

Author Ron Edmondson

More posts by Ron Edmondson

Join the discussion 34 Comments

• Jenom says:

Thank you Pastor Ron. Recently, I realised I have subtly slipped into the mode of comparing myself with a colleague. Your encouragement is timely.

• But then say "i will try to find out for you." Don't be afraid to admit shortcomings to the other leaders. Find a leader you can trust and who will get your back. I missed all of those when younger and tried to be someone i wasn't. It only hurt me. Good advice Ron.

• zishami8 says:

To work as a leader in any company or organization we must have full qualified and best trained to get its aims. write my papers for company developments.

• Identify the possible causes of your insecurities, such as new situations, fear, kids bullying you in school, a lack of money, or your appearance. You can't conquer your insecurities without first knowing from where they stem. Thanks.

• I'm very joyous to read this. This is the kind of info that craves to be given and not the unintentional misinformation that is at the other blogs. realise your distributing this best doc. i glimpse your issue, though a of "writing service" businesses are doing such thing, I don't believe that you should state such things about them."!

• […] 5 Ways to Fight Insecurity as a Leader From Ron Edmondson “I was talking with a young pastor recently. He is overwhelmed with the responsibility he’s been given. His church expects a lot from him…leading the church, preaching great messages, and seeing the baptistry consistently in use. He realizes the weight of his position, but much of it he doesn’t feel qualified to deliver. He accepted the position knowing there would be challenges, but now he’s wondering if he’s in over his head. I realized he was dealing with a huge dose of insecurity.” […]

• Sports massage is usually briefer in duration and more vigorous than a general full-body massage focusing as it does on the particular muscles relevant to your athletics activity.

• The recent address by the Minister of Education Mr Heng Swee Keat goes a greater depth compared to the normal arguments regarding the positives and negatives associated with present education system.

• An education will allow you to make more money than someone who does not, and also allows you to work in the career you love which is priceless. Another benefit of earning a degree is the self-satisfaction you will gain and pride in yourself for accomplishing such a great goal.

• Using the business condition, any manager can focus on three main tasks. This becomes necessary when departments share people who do different work. The leaders needs to rank projects so people know what to work on first

• The field of sports is a highly visible one, where extrinsic sports motivation plays a large role in a single player's success and confidence. It can also assist in helping sport teams to focus on and improve sports strategy.

• Kevin says:

Good word here–we should focus on what God is calling us to do/be. That's all He's asking.

• […] 5 Ways to Fight Insecurity as a Leader On 11.19.12, In Around the Web, by Tim Briggs Great wisdom here from Ron Edmondson: […]

• Kay says:

Good and helpful ideas. But do you really mean you want someone to "compliment" weaknesses (praise you for them), or did you mean "complement" (to enhance or improve)?

• Jimmy says:

I will like to add to this post: When God calls you to be a pastor or minster, He equips you by giving you what you need to succeed. However, the enemy tries to steal this from you. Pastors should not be too busy praying for others, but should also constantly seek God and pray for themselves.

• I specifically appreciate the last point. Trust in the faithful, unfailing God strengthens my confidence.

• bryankr says:

In the times I feel the most overwhelmed, i try to remind myself that God is never surprised! No one snuck up on Him, caught Him napping and put me in the place I'm in! He actually does have a plan. I don't always understand it, don't always see all of it, but it is never too big to handle. Sometimes it specifically designed for me to learn my limitations, , but even then, He is still there to hold me me up, even to just hold me! He may be God, but He's still my best friend.
    Twitter: bryankr

• @LeaMoja says:

Hi Pastor Ron! Your articles are really helpful especially to us young leaders. God bless you! Keep it coming!

• kmac4him says:

Remembering… Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane! He came to earth in human form, felt everything we felt as human beings. He was overwhelmed! BUT…. He silently submitted, to the WILL OF GOD Whose purposes in play were greater than the challenge at hand. I know the greatest gift God gave us at Christmas was Jesus, but another gift was AWE and WONDER. It is time to develop that once again, because we have lost it, the AWE and WONDER of the life of Christ, beginning with HIS birth to His Resurrection. It is in this AWE that a God-Strengthened confidence will undergird our naturally weak self images with His supernatural edge!
    Twitter: kmac4him

• Peter says:

Really love this article most especially the First one 1. Thank you

• Ron, love the post–1 and 5 really resonant–the comparison thing is so touch in American Christianity

blessings
    Twitter: charlesstone

• cycleguy says:

Don't pretend to be someone you aren't. If you don't know the answer say so. But then say "i will try to find out for you." Don't be afraid to admit shortcomings to the other leaders. Find a leader you can trust and who will get your back. I missed all of those when younger and tried to be someone i wasn't. It only hurt me. Good advice Ron.

• @EricDingler says:

I would add, balance your time focus. To often an insecure leader is focused only on the mistakes of the past, the circumstances of the present, or the fear of the future. We need to spend time considering all three. Not an even 1/3 on each. An example for some: 15% on studying the past to learn, 60% working on present tasks and 25% seeking clarity on the vision for the future. Others it might be 5%, 45% & 50%. A leader finds hope living in vision not circumstances.