The Marriage Sermon

By September 15, 2012Marriage
Ron Edmondson

Author Ron Edmondson

More posts by Ron Edmondson

Join the discussion 11 Comments

• faye says:

The Bible says to submit to husbands in the Lord….. a man not treating a wife as God treats the church is wrong and God does not expect a wife to spend her life abused and even God may not bind such a legal marriage.

Children and wives have been murdered because a man has been brought up that God expects her to stay in abuse, ????????

• Alanna Black says:

He doesn’t even read this anymore

• LISA M JACKSON-SMITH says:

I have been married to my husband for 6 years and during this time my husband does not do anything to help at home with cleaning or repairs . Paying for house bills has become my worry and not his concern. When we got married I owned my home, my mom bought me my home before she died so that my disabled father would always have a home to live in and I would care for my father. My husband says since his name is not put on the deed of the house he is not going to do anything for the house. Am I wrong for not putting my husband on title of the house? My husband says that I have hurt him by not putting him on title of the house. This makes me not to trust that he is only concerned to beable to claim this house as his.

• ronedmondson says:

I doubt that I can adequately speak into a marriage via email in a way that brings healing or even help. I would say there is an issue of trust on both sides here, in my opinion. Honestly, I can see both sides. I can see how your husband would feel he is not truly a part of you and your possessions if you are not equal in everything. A marriage is to be a sharing of lives. Marriage is the ultimate trust bond. If you can't trust your spouse, who can you trust? (Other than God, of course.)At the same time, I can see where you would be concerned if this was his only way of helping out around the house. If I were advising him, I would probably tell him to start helping and then hope you learn to trust him.It sounds like the two of you are at a stalemate. In my opinion you both need to expand your trust for your spouse. I guess the question is who moves first?

• Alanna Black says:

I would love to have a head to head coversation on your 7 ways a wife abuses her husband. How about this my husband had an affair for months he was even going to divorce me for it? I broke my leg falling down “his stairs” because everything is his so I could not move out during the divorce could happen. He found out the state we live in is an equity state and decided to cancel the divorce as to not sell assests. He even said let’s work this out you do this this and this and I’ll be more loving. I agree a good Catholic should. Well his mother posted on his Facebook page that her and his mistress should take her girls and my girls on vacation. I was livid and demanded he call them both and tell them that was crazy hurtful out of line. I’ve been crying for 6 days because his refusal no matter how many times I’ve asked, you know what he did. He quoted you and one of your 7 things is constantly demand him hurts him emotionally. Explain that

• Mercedes says:

Am I wrong for complaining that I want my husband to spend more time with me and our kids on his days off? He leaves out of town for work 3-4 days out of every week comes home and just wants to be at the shop working on his motorcycle or old truck or wants to just be out and about talking to his buddies. A year ago he had an affair with the secretary where he worked and got fired for it. I was also 4 months pregnant when I found out. So maybe I also have trust issues. But he responds to horribly saying that all I do is whine and b**** at him for wanting to be out of the house… He makes me feel bad that he works a lot and should be able to do whatever….

• Ron Edmondson says:

I try not to speak to specific situations online. But, it’s not wrong to expect a husband and dad to spend time with the family.

• Donna Stoke says:

What do you say to a wife that has been batter abused tormented and very disrespected? Forced to leave the only “home” she had no money no transportation no family forced to stop working because she liked her job. I was forced to leave because he got a real job. Only the second job he has in seven years. I left many times. He always fond me. This time it was his ideal that I go.

• Trish says:

What if a man doesn't respect his wife? How can she show him respect? Should she submit?